Educator Preperation Program (NAC-TCP)
Welcome to teacher certification program at North American College (NAC).
Teacher certification is a journey that takes you a rewarding teaching career. The information on this page will guide you to go through the certification process. it is our goal to help you become the most effective professional educator that you can.
NAC-TCP offers teacher certification in the following areas:
- Mathematics Teaching (8-12)
- Physical Science (8-12)
- Social studies (8-12)
- English Language Arts and Reading (8-12)
- Technology Applications (8-12)
There are several steps required to become certified teacher in Texas. The following steps explain the details about the process:
1. Apply to the Teacher Certification Program at NAC. Room #202
- Completion of NAC-TCP Application Form
- Junior Standing: Students must have 60 hours completed
- Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA): The candidate must meet one of the following criteria in order to be eligible to enter the educator preparation program:
- an overall GPA of at least 2.50 or higher (Overall, transfer and English core classes); or
- at least 2.50 in the last 60 semester credit hours; or
- demonstration of achievement equivalent to the academic achievement represented by GPA through the applicant’s work, business, or career experience as evidenced by the applicant’s portfolio. Demonstration by portfolio will be granted by the program director only in extraordinary circumstances and will not be used to admit more than 10% of any cohort of candidates.
- College level Competency: The applicants may use any one of the options below for meeting this requirement:
- Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA): Minimum scores: Reading 230; Math 230; Writing 220 with no time limit.
- Accuplacer (Administered by College Board): Minimum scores: Reading 78; Algebra 63; Sentence Structure 80; Writing 6.
- SAT: Minimum scores: Verbal 500; Math 500.
- ACT: Minimum scores: Composite – 19.
- College-level skills: All applicants will be required to demonstrate competency in basic skills in reading, oral and written communication, critical thinking, and mathematics.
- Reading: Grade of "C" or better in ENGL 1301 – Composition and Rhetoric I or its equivalent
- Oral Communication: Grade of "C" or better in COMM 1311 – Fundamentals of Communications or its equivalent
- Written Communication: Grades of "C" or better in ENGL 1301 - Composition and Rhetoric I and ENGL 1302 - Composition and Rhetoric II or their equivalents
- Critical Thinking: Grade of "C" or better in PHIL 1301 – Introduction to Logic and Critical Thinking or its equivalent
- Mathematics: Grade of "C" or better in MATH 1311 – College Algebra or its equivalent
- A minimum of 12 semester credit hoursin the subject-specific content area for certification sought
- An interview to determine the educator preparation candidate's appropriateness for the certification sought.
- Official degree plan: Candidate must have an official degree plan on file.
- English Language Proficiency: Proof of English language proficiency must be provided to the NAC-TCP office before an applicant will be considered for admission to the program. English proficiency can be demonstrated in any one of the following ways:
- completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree at an institution of higher education in the United States;
- if an undergraduate or graduate degree was earned at an institution of higher education outside of the United States, evidence must be provided under procedures approved by the executive director that the primary language of instruction was English;
- verification of three creditable years of teaching experience in an educational setting within the United States or, if the experience was earned in an educational setting outside of the United States, evidence under procedures approved by the executive director that the primary language of instruction was English;
- Minimum score of 55 on the Test of Spoken English (TSE) or a minimum score of 575 on the paper version of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or a minimum score of 231 on the computer-based version of the TOEFL or 90 on the Internet-based TOEFL.
- If a candidate presents a transcript from an out of country institution of higher education, the transcript must be evaluated by one of the approved evaluation entities and reflect a degree comparable the ones issued in the United States.
- Other Requirements at the time of application to TEA: Candidates applying for a Texas educator certificate must:
- be at least 18 years of age;
- not be disqualified or the subject of a pending proceeding under Chapter 249 of Title 19 of Texas Administrative Code.
- not be disqualified by federal law;
- be willing to support and defend the constitutions of the United States and Texas;
- pass a criminal background check
NAC-TCP accepts international students to its program with the conditions fulfilled above and under TAC 227.10 (e) and TAC 245.
2. Indication a fitness for the education profession
3. Successfully complete Field-based observation in the first semester you registered in certification program (minimum of 30 hours)
4. Successfully completion of coursework, both in your academic content area and in pedagogy
- Graduation plan
6. Pass your TExES exams, both in your academic content area and your Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities (PPR)
7. Apply for your teaching certification through the Texas Education Agency (TEA).
For more information refer to: Handbook for Teacher Certification